Monday 23 November 2009

Research: Cutting


I really want to experiment with cutting into the paper and maybe even forming a 3D object from it. I found all these examples on ffffound ages ago, so I can't find who did them.....very annoying!
Even though the image above doesn't involve a hidden aspect, but I really like the shape that has been cut and the how the pages have come away to form a textured plant shape.


The many holes running through these books produces other shapes combined with different shades of paper make perfect hiding places for images or text, maybe even creating a story like the 'Very hungry caterpillar' children's book. I really like the structures that has been formed from a quite simple idea.


This gives me great ideas to have a narrative in a 3D object. The different images that have been cut into the book go through the books like steps. There are so many hidden spaces in this piece it makes me feel the books are holding many secrets within the tangled though individual elements all creating really interesting shapes.



These beautiful paper cuts although simpler than Hina Aoyama very detailed pieces. however these pieces have a different finish, the top one especially is to entices you look through the bird shape and see the drawings behind. The larger and more striking paper cut although not particularly giving off the effect of hidden, I chose it because of the patterns that have been cut, as i think these make interesting shapes to see through to an image or even another paper cut.

No comments: