Monday 23 November 2009

Research: hiding faces

I am quite interested in the aspect of concealment over an image, as if it is engulfing the image behind it. For example fashion illustrator Sabine Pieper's piece below has a hair like textured pattern consuming her face. The pattern reminds me of a swarm of insects crawling all over her and her eye starring right at you gives the piece a quite creepy feel about it, however I really like the effect.




I love this image of two woman's heads and the concealed birds within the tangled, flowing, organic lines. From the expressions gives me real feeling of emotion and the distinct although hidden individual images gives this piece by Gabriel Moreno a powerful impression. As I studied each line and how they interconnect with each other gives me the idea to produce something that you follow to create a narrative within a single image.



This collage by ContainerPLUS shows a different angle how I could show a narrative in my work. I really like the composition of the images balanced by the white background on the left which gives it depth and a personal feel as though the image of the house and person is known by the illustrator. Again the flowing ink and pen lines make your eyes move across the image to absorb all the information in an order.



Emmanuel Polanco another collage illustrator produced these images with an old fashioned style. Each image has an concealment of a face however in this case it makes me feel as if they have a secret to hide. I really like all the different images and patterns used giving the images texture and a feast for your eyes to look around. The quite delicate images of women and flowers combined with the contrast of the dark backgrounds gives a mysterious feel adding to the the secretive atmosphere.







No comments: